Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Using Your Wedding Flowers to Make a Difference



I love my job. There is nothing that brings me more joy than touching, smelling, and just generally surrounding myself with flowers. However, I understand and admit that their beauty is fleeting. Especially when you work as a wedding florist. Gorgeous centerpieces for one night.

But your centerpieces and other arrangements don't have to hit your venue's dumpster. I was inspired by an article about Nancy K. Lawlor who has repurposed some $2million in flowers taken from weddings, hotels and other temporary displays and distributed them to nursing homes and hospitals. Many of these people are suffering from long-term illness and many won't get to go home.

I know the joy that fl0wers can bring to people. I thought this was an awesome idea and one I am going to present to all my brides-to-be. Donate your centerpieces to Phoenix Children's Hospital, or bring them to a hospice care. If you're heading on your honeymoon, ask a family friend or your bridesmaids.

Most fresh flower arrangements will last up to seven days and sometimes longer so they can bring a lovely bright spot of joy and color to someone's life.

It's also good for the environment. This is just one way your wedding can be recycled and environmentally friendly.

If you can't distribute the arrangements yourself, call Green Events.

Green Events is a service designed to recycle the waste from big events. They rescue leftover food and cake and donate it to the hungry, will pick up your empty bottles and cans for recycling, and recycle your flower arrangements to nursing homes and hospitals.

So use your wedding to make a difference!

No comments: